Complaint Process

Complaint process

If any volunteer, member or parent has a serious concern then they should follow the complaints process below. If the issue is a child protection issue then this should be reported immediately to the Child Protection Officer If you have serious concerns about the welfare of a child then you can contact Police on 101 or your Local Social Services which can be found on your Local Authority website.​​​​

SHA Complaint Process Flowchart​​​​​